This section will include the monthly history reports of the 442nd RCT which were produced by the regimental staff. These reports are a valuable resource for information on casualties, medal awards, organizational and operational details and a daily narrative of events that occurred during the month being reported on.
HISTORY OF 442D INFANTRY PER PAR 13, AR 345-105 FOR MONTH OF 1 - 31 OCTOBER 33
1. Original Unit. No change.
2. Changes in Organization. Effective upon arrival at VI Corps are (11 Oct 44), the 442d RCT was attached to VI Corps for operations; administration remaining with Seventh Army, as per secret letter AG 370.5-C, Hq Seventh Army, 4 Oc- tober 1944. The 442d Combat Team was further attached to the 36th Infantry Division for operations.
Antitank Co, 442d Infantry relieved from attachment to First Airborne Task Force effective 23 October 44 and reverted to control of parent unit, per secret letter Headquarters First Airborne Task Force, 24 October 1944
3. Strength. O'sWO'sEM a. At beginning of period 1 Oct 44* 186 7 3313 b. At end of period 31 Oct 44 11762245
c. Net decrease month 1-31 Oct 44 69 1 1068
*Strength figure reported 30 Sept 44 did not include Antitank Co, 442d Infantry.
1 - 8 Oct 44 442d RCT in bivouac near SEPTEMES, FRANCE. 9 - 11 Oct 44 En route to vicinity EPINAL, FRANCE. 12 - 14 Oct 44 442d RCT in assembly area at CHARMOIS-DEVANT-BRUYERES, near EPINAL. 15 - 31 Oct 44 442d RCT in combat near BRUYERES, BELMONT, BIFFONTAINE, and in the FOREST DOMINIALE DU CHAMP. CP locations established at Le Void de la Borde, Bruyeres, Belmont, and in the Forest Dominiale du Champ near Faragoutty. 5. Marches. Rescinded by par 12, C3, AR 345-105.
6. Campaign. a. Name of: Eastern France - Seventh Army Offensive. b. Duration: 442d Infantry entered line 15 Oct 44 continuing in combat at close of period 31 Oct 44. c. Purpose: Destruction of German Army in Eastern France; liberation of Eastern France and Alsace. d. Authority: Commanding General, Seventh Army.
7. Battles. a. Name and Date: BRUYERES, 15 - 18 Oct 44. BELMONT (vic), 19 - 24 Oct (2d and 3d Bns) BIFFONTAINE, 19 - 24 Oct (100th Bn) HILL 617, 26 - 31 Oct (2d Bn) FOREST DOMINIALE DU CHAMP, 27-31 Oct (100th & 3d Bns)
b. Campaign of which battles were a part: Eastern France.
c. Forces engaged: German infantry, engineers, artillery, armored force. Following units identified:
d. Results: Assaulted and occupied city of BRUYERES. Captured towns of BIFFONTAINE and BELMONT. Spearheaded division attack approximately 12 miles, destroyed enemy in regimental sector. Cleared Forest Dominiale du Champ. Relieved "Lost Battalion" (1st Bn, 141st Inf). Prisoners captured from 15 - 31 Oct 44 - 591.
8. Commanding Officer. Colonel C. W. PENCE, O-10283, Inf (Injured in action and evacuated 29 Oct 44). Lt Colonel V. R. MILLER, O-15847, Inf (Assumed command 29 Oct 44).
9. Losses in Action. See Exhibit "A" attached.
10. Present and Former Members Who Have Distinguished Themselves in Action. See Exhibit "B" attached.
11. Photographs of Personnel, Important Scenes or Events. None available.
the442.org -Copyright the 442nd Regimental Combat Team Historical Society